Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Driving in Japan πŸš—πŸ”°



I have never really enjoyed driving. I was the first of my friends to drive and have a car. Even in college, I often was the one who ended up driving, and I am not sure if it was due to this or has always been the way. Still, driving tends to give me a lot of anxiety, especially in areas I am unfamiliar with or there is a lot of traffic. 

When I started thinking about moving to Japan, I fully expected to be able to walk everywhere or take public transportation. But Misawa doesn't seem as easy to get around as Hwacheon was. That means I have to drive. Which ordinarily wouldn't be an issue, but in Japan, they drive on the left side of the road. This means I get to learn a new country's driving laws and signage while remembering that I need to be on the other side of the road, driving from the other side of the car. 

The first time I got to try this, I drove around on base, which is a little easier as the roads are wider, but it was still nerve-wracking. Once I was driving around for a bit, I got more comfortable. It's not as bad as some might think. The hardest part is turning right through intersections and using my turn signal. Now stay with me for a second. I'm sure turning through intersections makes sense since I have to make sure I go far enough through the intersection to turn into the correct lane. 

Turn signals, however, may not sound like something that would be difficult, but the turn signal lever is actually on the opposite side of the steering wheel. So I keep accidentally turning on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal. Well, guess I will just have to practice, and I will probably get decently good. After all, I am going to need to drive in order to get to the base for work, or literally anywhere, not to be stuck in the house. Well, here's to a licensed Kristy and a new car. Isn't it cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Adventures