Saturday, July 14, 2018

Korean Learning

One thing about orientation that I was both super excited about and terrified of was Korean Classes. The first day we were here, fresh off the plane, we had to take our Korean Placement Exam. I felt so lost. I aced the hangul (한늘 Korean writing system) part, but I had a lot of trouble with the rest of the test. Somehow, I was placed in low intermediate, however, and that is where the fun began. I love the class because it is challenging, but it is tough when the 선생님 (Teacher) is speaking so fast to us in Korean. It's the first week down though, and I feel good. I have a massive support system here and lots of people to help me. My roommate is even in the same class, so it's super convenient. So far, we have learned about greetings (we had to record a video of it!), numbers and money, as well as some grammar points that are more important. We even got to play a traditional Korean game where you roll these sticks. It was off but a lot of fun.


We have also been spending a lot of time learning about the Korean culture. We had one workshop that was titled Korean spirit and culture. The speaker introduced us to a bunch of Korean history and about King Sejong. We even were taught the correct way to bow during the holidays when the younger members of the family bow to their elders. I also got to try on a hanbok. It was oddly comfy. I am having so much fun learning all about the culture and the language. I am really excited to teach.

1 comment:

  1. As a social studies teacher, I am so interested in what you are doing. I am amazed how much you are learning! Won't it be great when you can go shopping and communicate in the local language. Love, Aunt Gloria

    ReplyDelete

My Adventures