Sunday, September 15, 2019

Chuseok! Again!

Well, its that time of year again. If you missed my post last year, Chuseok is essentially Korean Thanksgiving. It is based on the lunar calendar and is one of the two most important holidays in Korean culture (the other being Seollal- Lunar New Year). My Chuseok began on Wednesday, where my host mom actually asked for me to have the day off so that we could go to Seoul and visit her family and take the kids to this exhibition hall that had been rented out. It was filled to the brim with inflatables and small fun things for the kids to play and jump around on. It was actually a lot of fun, even though there wasn't really anything for adults to do but watch the kids play.

Except for the swings. There were swings. That was fun.

We spent the day there, went to a restaurant to get backbone soup and back to my host mom's sister's apartment. We had so many people in this tiny little Seoul apartment with two families (five kids total) plus grandparents and me. But it was nice and we left after breakfast the next morning.

A few hours after we arrived back home, the other grandparents arrived. My host dad's parents and uncle came for dinner and spent the night. Friday was actually Chuseok. I actually got a few hours to myself because the family went out and I stayed home. It was actually nice. After all, if I was always busy during my vacation from school, its not much of a break. This break did come way too early in the school year, however. I really could use it in October or November when there are no breaks in the schedule. Literally, I don't have any holidays between Hangul day on October 9th and Christmas day.

Saturday, my host mom decided that we should do something with the day, so we went to the "love tree" and then to a really cute cafe where the owner sang for us.

All in all, it was a pretty good holiday. I'm really happy to have been able to celebrate another Chuseok in Korea.



1 comment:

  1. You blog is so amazing. I was very curious about what is chuseok. Finally got to know about it. I'll must visit once in my life.

    ReplyDelete

My Adventures