Thursday, March 28, 2019

Spontaneous Trip to Gyeongbokgung Palace (경복궁)

This past weekend, my host family told me they were going on a trip, so I decided that instead of spending the weekend alone, I would find someone to hang out will. Apparently there were a bunch of ETAs in Seoul and I didn't realize it, so on Saturday, I set out to visit the capital. I arrived a bit earlier than most of the people I was going to meet up with so it was suggested that I visit the palace. This palace is a "must see" for tourists in Seoul and I hadn't done it yet.
When I first got there, the weather was just started to turn nice, it had rained earlier, so the ground was a bit muddy. Many people like to rent hambok when they go and so they can take pictures and they usually get free admission. For everyone else its only 3000 won. So not a bad price. I ended up going through the palace by myself, and although I did get a lot of really awesome pictures, it was a bit boring.

Because I didn't know when my friends were getting in, I didn't bother getting admission to any of the museums, but I think I will come back one day and do those parts of the tour (and possible take a walking tour of the place with a guide). The place was beautiful, though the architecture is very similar to the other traditional temples and residences that I have visited. Perhaps when it is warmer, I will go back with friends and wear hambok through the place. Until then, I can enjoy some pictures of the buildings and statues with the beautiful mountains in the background.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Adventures