Friday, May 10, 2019

Science Day!

This is going to be short and sweet. Today was science day at my school. Every semester, my school hosts a science day where students go to different classrooms and do different activities. Last semester, our classroom was in charge of making little homes for cockroaches. I was praying that we weren't doing the same this year. We weren't. This time it was snails instead of cockroaches. You know what? Snails are significantly better. I think they are really cute.

Students are assigned to the classrooms and activities they are supposed to attend. We got 2nd grade, which is really interesting considering we don't even teach 2nd grade, but maybe that was the idea. Assign the classes to places where they don't go.

It was actually really fun to make these little houses for the snails and I also became the resident snail wrangler. I was the person that would get the snails out of the little cups that they came in and put them in the new homes if the students weren't able to get them out or were too scared. I had one girl who wouldn't even hold the cup. I had to carry it to her desk, take it out, put it in the container and close the lid before she got close to it.

Each of the kids got to put everything in the container and name it. Ping Ping was a frequent choice (Gary from Spongebob's Korean
name). It was actually really cute to see the different reactions each of the kids had, and how the snails adjusted to their new environments. By the time class was over, there were some that were climbing all over the walls and even investigating their food source. I am very happy I got to experience this with the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Adventures