Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Jinju Lantern Festival

My first big adventure away from Hwacheon was the Jinju Lantern Festival. I spent over 6 hours on buses. It was not a very fun ride. It was long and tedious and may not have been worth the actual total time I spent in Jinju.

The festival is another story. When I first arrived, I walked about 30 minutes from the bus terminal to the cafe that the other fulbrighters were hanging out at. I was so happy to see some familiar faces, especially since I hadn't seen most of them since we left orientation. In the small group, it was nice, catching up and just being able to speak English with someone else whose native language is also English.

The festival itself was a blur of beautiful sights, sounds, and smells. The lanterns lived up to the hype with the hall of a thousand wishes and the lanterns in the water as well as up by the fortress. There was even a water show set to music!


There was so much to see, I wish I lived closer to go more than a few hours just so I could see all that the place had to offer. There was so much to it. It is just so hard to describe everything that there was to see.

When we finished going around the festival, a few of us decided to break off from the main group and get some hot chocolate at a local cafe. It was a perfect end to a perfect night. It was exactly what I needed at the end of such an exhausting day, especially since I had to get up the next morning and take the 6ish hours on the bus back to Hwacheon. Though this time the first bus had a USB plug for my phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Adventures