Friday, February 15, 2019

New Year... New Me? My Year of Korean

10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...Happy New Year!

Why is it that once you reach '1' you are suddenly supposed to become a brand new person? I've never really understood "New Years Resolutions" simply because what is the point of making a resolution if you don't keep it? Why do you have to make it in January? Why can't you make these resolutions any time of year? Why is it that once you break your resolution, you suddenly can never pick it up again? Oops, forgot to workout for the past week (month), guess I'll try again next year. 

Don't get me wrong. I still make them every year. I also make a specific effort not to tell anyone my resolution. I guess that way they can't be mad at me or make me feel guilty when I inevitably break.

Usually, though, my goals are the typical ones that aren't too important to me at the time. They are things that are important and I really want to do, but not doing them won't exactly 'hurt' my day to day life.

This year is different. Maybe, because it isn't exactly a resolution, but just simply a start date. Or maybe because this was something I was already doing, but just needed to be better at.

This year. My resolution is to study Korean every day. I have been in this country since July. I still can't talk to people. I feel terrible about it. I want to be able to talk to people so much. I feel bad when I finally do get around native English speakers because I just let go. I talk so much and so fast. I don't check my speech or word choice. It's a bit of a problem. That won't go away, but I'm hoping to get better at actually talking to people.

So here's the deal. I WILL do this. Every day I WILL write in Korean in a journal. Each month, I will write one paragraph in Korean. Every day, I will study one or more of several study options. These are the 'Talk To Me In Korean' resources, 'Basic Korean Grammar' textbook, apps on my phone or other resources.

To keep me on track, I bought a small planner from Daiso (a Korean under 5 dollars store) that has monthly and weekly spreads, as well as lined and gridded paper in the back. This is where I keep track of my daily practice, trackers for my lessons, as well as all of my writing. I take my Korean notes in other notebooks, but this journal is my buddy. I am writing this now because I am well into February and I am still going. I want to hold myself accountable this year.

Please ignore my Korean (if you can read it), I'm still learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Adventures