Sunday, September 22, 2019

Getting a Korean Tutor

When I first came to Korea, I thought to myself "I can't live in a country for a whole year and not come back with some sort of language proficiency" but as the months went on, I realized I wasn't making the progress I wanted to. Given, I didn't work nearly as hard on learning Korean my first semester as I was struggling just to keep up with everything else going on, but in the spring when I started to study more and more, I realized I needed help. I wasn't close enough to go to any Korean classes for foreigners, so I opted for the online approach.

After some searching, I finally did find a website for online tutors that set their own prices. I actually lucked out in finding someone for pretty cheap who is really awesome. She is very patient and understanding. I have made a lot of progress in the past few months. Having a teacher there puts pressure on me to actually study and retain what she teaches me. For that, I have benefited. I have had lessons once a week for several months now and I'm really happy about that. I think I might actually get to the point by the end of my second year, where I will actually be able to speak in the language, therefore making it easier to study and retain Korean when I get back to the US. I don't want to have gone through all of this effort in the past year just to turn around and lose it when I get home like I did in Spanish after my college classes were over.

*Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Adventures