Thursday, October 31, 2019

Halloween YR 2

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. Last year, I was able to make the day special in school in my classes and afterschool classes. But this year, it wasn't possible because of my schedule. But thankfully, I still got the chance to celebrate. The weekend before the county decided to do a special Halloween event for the local kids. We all dressed up, did a mini tricker-treating and each of us ran a station that groups of kids rotated through.

The other teachers ran stations of different crafts and activity stations. Mine was a pizza-making station. It was such a mess.

My host mom was in charge of the event, so in the weeks leading up to it, I really got to see a lot of behind the scenes, as well as help, come up with ideas and how everything was going to work.

Day of, I got all dressed up in my Halloween costume, I was a witch, and entered the frantic flurry of preparation. Once the kids started to arrive, it was showtime. I did five rounds of helping 5-9-year-olds make pizza and trying not to get it all over their costumes. There was a bit of a learning curve, where the first two rounds I actually ran out of time and then I started finishing too fast.

The concept was that I gave each of them a piece of bread, they put sauce on, used cookie cutters to shape their cheese, then add toppings to make them more Halloweeny. Some of the designs were really cute.

After the kids went through all of the activities, we went outside for pictures, giving out candy and this thing that I can only describe as Korean Pinata.

On Sunday, we repeated the same thing, but in another town in the county. It was a really nice way to spend Halloween. I'm glad I got the chance to do this activity and share with the Korean children my love of the holiday. Especially because these kids were so young and so cute in their costumes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Adventures